Alkalize the Body with Baking Soda
Kara Bauer Health Guide
Sodium bicarbonate (known as baking soda) is a natural occurring mineral that can provide some pretty miraculous health benefits. Most well known for its use as an agent for leavening bread and other baked goods, baking soda is extremely powerful for reducing or balancing Acid
in the body, which is at the source of many illnesses including Cancer
. Baking soda is both healing and preventative when taken orally in addition to its many topical health applications.
In order to understand the effects of baking soda, one must first become aware of the consequences of too much Acid
in the body. An Acid
ic pH causes the spleen, Liver
s to get overworked. In order to buffer this Acid
ity, the body has to rob existing minerals from the Bones
and tissue such as calcium, magnesium, sodium and potassium. This can lead to chronic conditions such as Osteoporosis
, loss of Muscle
mass, Kidney Stones
, and impaired Muscle
functioning as well as an Acid
ic environment in which Heart
and other diseases can thrive.
Diets rich in animal products (meat and dairy) as well as processed foods, sugar and grains are all likely to produce an unbalanced Acid
ic pH. Instead one should consume more alkalizing foods such as fruits and vegetables to counter this Acid
ity and prevent disease. Baking soda can also help neutralize the Acid
and help the body to maintain pH balance in the urine and bloodstream. Mice studies conducted by Arizona Cancer
Center have shown that baking soda can alkalize the areas around Tumor
s and help prevent metastasis in Cancer
patients. This information has been so encouraging that the University of Arizona received a $2MM grant from the National Institute of Health this past year to research its effectiveness against breast Cancer
Baking soda has also been shown to ease the effects of radiation exposure and chemotherapy by protecting the Kidney
system and other tissues. It also diminishes the effects of heavy metals and other toxic chemicals, such as uranium, produced by these Cancer
treatment methods.Another benefit it provides in relation to Cancer
is that it acts as a strong anti-fungal agent. Lately there has been a lot of information released about the relationship between Cancer
and fungus indicating that fungus produces mycoToxin
s (such as aflaToxin
) that may cause Cancer
.Fungus is also at the culprit of a host of other diseases and ailments and thrives in an Acid
treatment, baking soda is also very useful for relieving Heart
burn or Acid
. It neutralizes Stomach
much more effectively and safely than over-the-counter antAcid
s, which only treat symptoms temporarily. It can also be useful for Acid
related conditions such as Gout
reflux disease, as well as Kidney
disease and Diabetes
. Itís also more commonly known as a treatment protocol for Colds
and the flu for its ability to sooth mucous membranes and dissolve thick Mucus
, while also boosting the Immune
system through proper Acid
/alkaline balancing. To take baking soda internally, mix Ĺ to 1 tsp of baking soda in a glass of water and drink periodically throughout the day (2 to 6 times). You want to get your pH to a range between 7.35 and 7.45, which you can test using urine strips or a blood test.
Sodium bicarbonate can also be used topically as an antiSeptic
to treat Acne
/blemishes, cleanse the face as a light exfoliator (when combined with honey and essential oils) and whiten teeth. It is also a great Deodorant
, Hair Shampoo
, and Skin
solvent for a mineralized bath. Also remember that itís important to choose a baking soda that is aluminum free to get the most health benefits.
Howard, A. (2009, October 20).Keep the body alkaline for optimum health. Retrieved from http://www.naturalnews.com/027280_alkaline_body_balance.html
Corsi, E. H (2012, April 25). Baking soda might have potential against Cancer
. Retrieved from http://digitaljournal.com/article/323645
Sirus, M (2010, May 6). Reducing radiation damages with biocarbonate. Retrieved from http://drsircus.com/medicine/sodium-bicarbonate-baking-soda/reducing-radiation-damages-with-bicarbonate-3
Sirus, M. (2012, March 2). Baking soda and Cancer
(the last laugh). Retrieved from http://drsircus.com/medicine/sodium-bicarbonate-baking-soda/baking-soda-Cancer
Mercola, J. (2009, December 15). Overlooked 150 year old household Cleaner
a remedy for swine flu? Retrieved from http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/12/15/baking-soda-used-to-treat-swine-flu-85-years-ago.aspx
Published On: January 19, 2013
Health & Beauty
1. Antiperspirant - to make your own, apply baking soda with a powder puff under arms.
2. Bee Stings
- to sooth the Pain
and draw out the stinger, apply a paste of baking soda and water to the affected area.
3. Breath - to freshen, Gargle
with 2 ounces of water mixed with 1/2 teaspoon baking soda.
- to relieve itching, make a thick paste using water and baking soda. Apply paste to the bite.
4. Canker Sore - to relive Pain
, mix 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda, a pinch of salt in 1 cup of water. Gargle
5. Chicken Pox
- to relieve itching, add 1/2 cup baking soda to a lukewarm bath.
- to relieve stuffy head and Nose
, use vapor disks in your shower made with 2 cups baking soda, 20 drops of eucalyptus essential oil. Slowly add water to make a thick putty. Divide into muffin tins and allow them to air dry for 24 hours.
- to control, massage your wet Scalp
with a 1/4 to 1/2 cup of baking soda. Repeat for two weeks.
8. Dentures and Retainers - to clean, soak them in 1 cup warm water and 3 tablespoons baking soda.
9. Detox - to relieve aches and Pain
s, mix 1 cup baking soda and 1 cup apple cider vinegar in a warm tub of water.
10. Face Scrub - for a soft, smooth face, make a paste using 1 part baking soda, 2 parts ground oatmeal and water. Gently rub you face with the paste, leave on for a few minutes and then rinse.
11. Feet - to relieve aching feet, add 3 tablespoons of baking soda to a tub of warm water.
- to keep Hair
healthy, add 1 teaspoon of baking to every 6 ounces of Conditioner
- to remove chemical build up and soften, mix 1 teaspoon baking soda to 6 ounces Shampoo
burn - to relieve, drink 4 ounces of water mixed with 1 teaspoon baking soda.
15. Jellyfish Sting - to sooth Pain
, apply a thick paste of baking soda and water to the affected area.
16. Mouthwash - to make your own, mix 2 teaspoons baking soda, 1/8 teaspoon salt, a drop of two of peppermint in 1 quart of water. Gargle
Ivy - to relieve itching, make a thin paste using water and baking soda. Gently apply to affected area.
- to exfoliate, make a paste using 3 parts baking soda and on part water. Gently apply with your fingers using a circular motion, rinse
- to soften, add 1 cup of baking soda to your bathwater.
20. Splinter- to remove, soak affected area in a small glass of water containing 1 tablespoon baking soda. Repeat twice a day until the splinter works its way out.
21. Split Ends - to resist, add 1 teaspoon of baking soda for every 6 ounces of Conditioner
22. Stuffy Nose
- to clear, add 1 teaspoon to vaporizer.
- to relieve Pain
, make a thin paste using water and baking soda. Gently apply to the burned area.
- to relieve Pain
, soak in a bath tub full of lukewarm water and a 1/2 cup baking soda. Air dry.
25. Teeth - to clean, make a paste using baking soda and peroxide.
26. Teeth - to whiten, mix Ĺ1/2 teaspoon baking soda with 1 crushed, ripe strawberry. Apply the mixture to your teeth and allow it to remain for 5 minutes. Brush teeth and rinse.
27. Ulcer - to relieve Pain
, dissolve 1-2 teaspoons of baking soda in 1 cup water and drink.
28. Wind Burns
- to relieve, apply a thin paste of baking soda and water to the area
1. Baking Powder - to make your own, sift together 1 tablespoon baking soda, 1 tablespoon cornstarch and 2 parts cream of tartar.
2. Beans - to make them more digestible, soak dried beans in a solution of 4 cups water and 1/2up baking soda.
3. Chicken -to easily remove feathers and clean, boil the chicken in a pot of water mixed with 1 teaspoon baking soda.
4. Eggs - to make fluffier, add 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda to three eggs.
5. Fish - to reduce the fishy smell, soak raw fish in 2 cups water and 1/4 cup baking soda for 1-3 hours in the refrigerator.
6. Fruits & Vegetables-to clean, wash them in a sink of water mixed with 1 cup of baking soda.
7. Meat - to tenderize, rub meat with baking soda and allow it to sit for 2-3 hours in the refrigerator. Rinse before cooking.
8. Sports Drinks - to make your own, dissolve 1 teaspoon of baking, 1 teaspoon of salt, 4 tablespoons of sugar and 1 package of Kool-Aid in 2 quarts of warm water. Cool and drink to replace electrolytes which help you to absorb more water.
9. Tea - to eliminate bitterness and cloudiness, add a pinch of baking soda to a gallon of freshly brewed tea.
10. Tomatoes - to reduce Acid
, sprinkle them with a pinch of baking soda.
11. Wild Game - to reduce the gamey flavor, soak it in a solution of 4 cups water and 1/2 cup baking soda.
1. Baby Bottles - to clean and deodorize, wash bottles in a sink full of hot water and 1/2 cup baking soda.
2. Cast Iron - to clean, sprinkle with baking soda and scrub with a rag. Rinse and season.
3. Coffee Maker - to clean, add 1/4 cup baking soda to a pot of water. Run the water through a complete brewing cycle.
4. Coffee Stains - to remove from mugs, sprinkle baking soda and fill with hot water. Let it soak until the water is cool. Empty and sprinkle with a little more baking soda and scrub clean.
5. Dish clothes - to remove the smell, soak dish clothes in 2 cups water and 1 cup baking soda.
6. Dishwasher - to clean and deodorize, sprinkle the bottom with 1 cup baking soda and run it through a full cycle using hot water. Then leave the door open for a few hours to dry out.
7. Dishwasher - for Cleaner
dishes, add a tablespoon of baking soda to your dishwasher.
8. Food Storage Containers - to remove odors, sprinkle with baking soda and allow them to sit covered for 24-48 hours. Wash in a sink of water mixed with 1/2 cup baking soda.
9. Hands - to remove odors, wash hands with baking soda.
10. Oven -to clean, mix 1 cup warm water and 1 tablespoon baking soda scrub the inside of the oven and rinse clean.
11. Pots & Pans - to remove burnt on food, fill pan with water and 1/4 cup baking soda. Boil for 10-15 minutes and wash clean.
12. Pots & Pans - to remove grease, scrub pans with baking soda.
13. Refrigerator - to clean and deodorize, make a cleaning solution using 4 cups water and 1/4 cup baking soda.
14. Refrigerator - to remove odors, place an open box of baking soda in the refrigerator.
15. Stove - to clean a glass top stove, make a paste using baking soda and water. Apply the mixture to the stove top scrubbing away the mess. Rinse with clean water.
1. Combs & Brushes - to clean, soak them in a solution made of 4 cups hot water and 1/4 cup baking soda. Soak for 1-2 hours then rinse clean.
2. Drains - to keep them flowing freely and smelling fresh, clean them every other month.
3. Drains - to unclog, remove as much of the standing water as possible. Pour 1 cup baking soda into the drain then pour 1 cup hot vinegar. Allow it to do its magic for 10-15 minutes and then run the hot water for a few minutes.
4. Shower Curtains - to clean and remove mildew, soak them in 1 gallon warm water and 1 cup baking soda. Allow them to soak overnight, rinse and hang to dry.
5. Sinks, tubs and showers - to scrub, mix 1/4 cup baking soda with 1 tablespoon liquid dish soap. Use as you would any scouring powder.
6. Toilet - to clean and absorb odors, add a cup of baking soda to the bowl and let it sit for an hour. Clean with a toilet brush and flush.
7. Toothbrushes - to clean, soak overnight in a mixture of 1/4 cup water and 1/4 cup baking soda. Rinse.
1. Detergent - learn to make your own, follow the recipe Homemade Powdered Laundry Detergent. This is amazing stuff!
s - to clean and deodorize, add 1/2 cup of baking soda to the washer.
Pail - to deodorize, sprinkle baking soda in the bottom.
4. Laundry - to boost your detergents cleaning power and brighten clothes, add 1/4 cup to your wash.
5. Line Drying - to keep clothes from being stiff, add baking soda to your washer. Thank you -†Missyís Homemaking Adventures
1. Air Freshener - to make your own, mix a cup of baking soda with a few drops of essential oil. Place mixture in a small bowl.
2. Carpets - to clean, sprinkle with baking soda and gently brush it in. Allow it to sit overnight then vacuum.
3. Chrome - to polish, make a paste using baking soda and water. Buff with paste and rinse clean.
4. Fireplace - to freshen, remove ashes then place a container of baking soda in the fireplace.
5. Floors - to brighten and clean, in a bucket of warm water dissolve 1/2 cup baking soda. Rinse.
6. Garbage Cans - to clean, make a thin paste using baking soda and water. Scrub the garbage can and rinse.
7. Garbage Cans - to deodorize, sprinkle baking soda in the bottom.
8. Hamper - to freshen, sprinkle the bottom with baking soda.
9. Marble - to clean, make a cleaning solution using 4 cups warm water and 3 tablespoons baking soda. Pour solution in a spray bottle.
10. Rugs - to freshen, sprinkle with baking soda, let sit overnight. Shake.
11. Shoes - to clean, make a thin paste using baking soda and water. Rub the paste on the shoe with a clean cloth. Rinse.
12. Silver- to clean smooth surface silver, place the silver in an aluminum foil pan, add enough boiling water to cover the silver and 4-5 tablespoons baking soda. Let it sit for 1-2 hours. Rinse and polish with a clean dry cloth.
13. Silver- to shine, mix 3 parts baking soda with one part water. Buff silver with the paste and rinse.
14. Stainless Steel -to polish and clean, make a paste using baking soda and water. Buff with paste and rinse clean.
15. Upholstery - to clean, sprinkle with baking soda and gently brush it in. Allow it to sit overnight, then vacuum.
16. Vacuum Cleaner
- to freshen, vacuum up a 1/2 cup of baking soda.
17. Water Rings - to remove from wood furniture, make a paste using baking soda and toothpaste (not the gel kind). Using a soft cloth dipped in the mixture rub the spot.
1. Balloons - to blow up, fill about 1/2 of a balloon with baking using a funnel. Fill about 1/3 of a water bottle (16.9oz) with vinegar. Carefully cover the top of the bottle with the balloon making sure not to spill the baking soda into the bottle. Lift the balloon to pour the baking soda into the vinegar.
2. Clay - to make your own, mix 1 cup cornstarch, 2 cups baking soda and 1 1/4 cups water. Knead until well mixed.
3. Cradle Cap - to loosen and remove, wash infants Hair
with a watery mixture of baking soda and water.
4. Diaper Rash
- to relieve Rash
, put a couple tablespoons of baking soda in their bathwater.
1. Dogs - to deodorize fur, brush their coat with baking soda.
2. Dogs & Cats - to clean their teeth, dip a damp toothbrush into baking soda and brush away the tarter.
3. Dogs & Cats - to deter bugs from getting into their food bowls, sprinkle baking soda around their bowls.
4. Litter Box - to absorb odor, sprinkle the litter with baking soda.
5. Skunk - to remove odors, bathe in a tub of warm water and 2 cups baking soda.
6. Skunk - to remove odors from clothing, soak clothing in a bucket of warm water and 1 cup of baking soda.
1. Concrete - to clean off grease, sprinkle on the spot and scrub using a hard bristle brush. Rinse clean. Repeat as needed.
2. Grills- to clean, sprinkle a damp brush with baking soda, scrub, allow to sit for 24 hours and rinse.
3. Patio Cushions - to store for winter, place cushions in a large plastic bag and sprinkle with baking soda. Seal bag and store.
4. Sidewalks - to remove ice, sprinkle with baking soda.
5. Sidewalks and Driveways - to remove weeds from the cracks, sprinkle them baking soda.
1. Flowers - to keep cut flowers fresh, add 1 teaspoon to the water.
2. Gardens - to keep rabbits out, sprinkle garden beds with baking soda.
3. Tomatoes - to sweeten, sprinkle baking soda on the soil around the plants.
1. Ants - to rid your home, sprinkle baking soda along their paths.
2. Cock Roaches -to rid your home, sprinkle around windows and under sinks.
1. Battery - to keep it from corroding, every couple of months wipe the terminals with a paste made of baking soda and water. Remove with a clean, dry rag.
2. Interior-to freshen, fill ashtrays with baking soda
3. Windshield - to repel rain, wipe your windshield with a solution of 2 cups water and 1 cup baking soda.
1. Ashtrays- to prevent smoldering, sprinkle baking soda in your ashtrays
2. Ashtrays - to reduce odors, sprinkle baking soda in your ashtrays
3. Fires - to put out a small grease fire, pour baking soda on it.
t Brushes - to restore stiff brushes, mix 1/2 gallon of water, 1/4 cup vinegar and 1 cup baking soda in a sauce pan. Place Pain
t brushes in the pan and bring them to a boil.
5. Shoes - to remove odors, sprinkle baking soda in your shoes
6. Walls - to fill nail holes, mix baking soda with white toothpaste. Fill the holes and allow to dry